Friday, July 04, 2008

Cuatro De Julio

Is there a more loathsome tradition in our country than fireworks on the fourth of july? I have honestly been trying to think of one and I can not. I mean, there's rape and murder but I wouldn't put those immediately in the "tradition" category, as they are frowned upon by almost everyone. Let's simulate war! Hey let's make a lot of noise all f-ing night! Let's scare dogs and babies! If you are shooting off fireworks, EVEN TODAY, you are an a-hole.

-------------------------------

Now that Obama has gone to North Dakota and begun the process of backing off of his promise to get Americans out of the dangerous mess in Iraq within 16 months of taking office, my vote is up for grabs. Honestly. I just read this and would like a president who agrees that Joe Horn acted appropriately. McCain? Obama? Please someone impress me with something. Like William Shatner said, "It Hasn't Happened Yet."

-------------------------------

These FIREWORKS are making me ANGRY!

These PRETZELS are making me THIRSTY!

-------------------------------

On a happier note, I LOVED this book. Or parts of it. It is a short story collection that, at its best, makes crystal clear the intricacies and mysteries of life, love, and relationships. What more do you want?

Library: I Am Having An Adventure
Amazon: I Am Having An Adventure for a penny! Really! Take a chance.
Wikipedia: Perri Klass

May I recommend highly the final story – if you only read one. But reading the whole book gives the final story even more power.

2 comments:

  1. Well I must say I do love fireworks. We watched the Lakeville display last night from our friends' yard and they were pretty cool. I love the Fourth of July totally and completely. But I'm sorry if it scared the babies.

    How bout if we all moved back to Maryland where neighborhood fireworks pretty much didn't exist? Minnesota just is too wild of a state. Back in Maryland fireworks were a choice civilized people were free to make.

    Thanks for the recommendation for the author. Will definitely get a book or two by her. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I was feeling the next day like that first part of that post was a little harsh. There are times I like fireworks too. People around here just go so nuts about it. It's just the neighborhood fireworks I was really talking about.

    ReplyDelete