Friday, March 17, 2006

Inspiration

I was going to the library to return some books and get some new ones. I put on 89.3 the Current, which I almost always enjoy. Its only real competition is 88.5 Jazz 88. The Current was playing Neil Young's electric version of "Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)". The electrics were spitting and snarling with the heaviest guitar sound ever recorded. I've always loved that song and I hadn't heard it in a long time. He sang

It's out of the blue and into the black
They give you this, but you pay for that
And once you're gone you can never come back
When you're out of the blue, and into the black

A long time ago on a beach in Ohio I was sitting with my sister looking at the lake. We had been silent for a while and she asked me what I was thinking. It was shortly after "Freedom" had come out and Neil Young was popular and in vogue again. I said I had been thinking that if I bought some Neil Young and listened to it I bet I would really like it. My sister thought that was very funny and indeed it was. With great affection and appreciation, she said, "That's really what goes on in your mind, isn't it? You were just sitting there, looking at the sand and the water and the sky and you were thinking, 'I bet I would really like Neil Young's music if I bought some of his albums.' That's great." We laughed because it's true.

As I drove on, Neil Young sang

"The King is gone, but he's not forgotten."

I thought about Elvis and how much his music has meant to me. I thought about all the songs I've played that are either about or inspired by Elvis. "Dream I Had Last Night", "California" and Karl's trilogy of songs. I thought about that time long ago on a beach. I thought about all the music I've made that I'm often tempted to just give up on. I sometimes see no reason to do anything but let it rot in the basement. Sometimes it just feels like a nuisiance to even be a musician. Nothing else makes me as happy as being a musician. I often wish I was happy being something that made money, helped my family, and made sense instead of something that requires money, takes time away from my family, and occupies my mind with senselessness.

I drove by a church. The church often has a funny saying on its lit up sign rising out of the ground by the road. I thought about Elvis. On the radio Neil Young again sang "The King is gone, but he's not forgotten" The sign on the church said

FINISH HIS WORK

5 comments:

  1. I just noticed that "Emerson Ave" isn't listed on your Lyrics page on your website. What album does this song fit in? I don't think you have a complete list of Discography on your website. Am I correct, or am I not seeing things, or am I just wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are correct. "Emerson Avenue" lyrics are currently not available at memphisevans.com. That song is on the Y2K CD "Pop Machine", which is currently in version 3.0, as documented here at the "actual status of discography" page.

    This page may be helpful for you, as I believe you have borrowed the latest versions of all these CDs except for "Nothing Personal", which was just mixed and burned to a CD last August. Unfortunately, said page does not necessarily feature lyrics to all recorded songs just yet.

    Having finished posting the lyrics for The Complete New Roots of Suffering and my own Nothing Personal CD, perhaps my next memphisevans.com project will be to post lyrics for "Pop Machine".

    Incidentally, I just bought greatunclehelmer.com and directed it to the current official index for that band.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I'm a doofus. Emerson Avenue lyrics are available here as part of the "For You: Greatest Hits Volume 2" mini-site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more question about your full Discography? You wrote a song about a guy shot in the head, "Dead in his boots", or some-such thing like that. Do you remember it? I remember that your Pa and I were playing with papers that had the lyrics of this song on the back.

    Was this a dream I had, or was it an actual song? If so, what was that song? Is it listed on the page of full songs, or are the lyrics somewhere for review?


    How about the new song that you and Karl are working on, Bass Guitar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are (at least) two songs I've been involved with where a guy is shot. I believe you are referring to the one called "Sinister Barber". The lyrics for it are printed on the back of the sheets I sometimes put on the tables at shows. They are also here.

    There is also a GUH song called "Boots" about finding a guy who has been stabbed. So I guess that's not about getting shot. Never mind. I don't have lyrics for that one posted anyway, although Karl and I both like it and should probably put it on our next CD of originals.

    Speaking of which, the song "Bass Guitar" will, God willing, be recorded on Saturday, April 1. The lyrics for this relatively new song are here. Does that answer the question?

    ReplyDelete