Friday, June 09, 2006

So I understand blogs are supposed to have a political component. Here is a quote from our governor taken from his speech accepting his party's endorsement.

"Now I know I may not be in some of your wildest dreams but I can tell you what your worst nightmare is," Pawlenty told delegates at his party's state convention. "It's one of the big spendin', tax raisin', abortion promotin', gay marriage embracin', more-welfare-without-accountability lovin', school-reform resistin', illegal-immigration supportin' Democrats for governor who think Hillary Clinton should be president of the United States."

To me this sounds like (very) thinly veiled hatred. At the very least it suggests and exploits resentment and bigotry towards gays, immigrants, and the poor. Am I wrong? How is that statement supposed to be interpreted?

Now yes, I hate paying taxes. I give plenty of money to charities that reflect my values, partly in an effort to reduce the amount of my money going to the government, since they generally waste it on foolish endeavors. (Iraq anyone?) But I don't think putting the hurt on hard working Mexicans, needy families, and gays who just want to have legal love is the answer. I don't see why that's even a priority.

While I would never have voted for the governor, I had heard him speak on the radio and thought he was a reasonable person. I did not think he was one of these hateful, pandering idiots. It appears I was wrong.

There. Now my blog has a political component. Enjoy. What do YOU think?

4 comments:

  1. Admirable way to twist the issues. So if I'm pro-choice, that means I promote abortion. And if I don't support school reform, it's because I'm a resistor. If that's what I am, than I'm proud to be so. Call me a Dem for Hillary any old day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consider the audience. On NPR he was Mr. Reasonable rather that Mr. Ranting Republican. I think all this rhetoric about non-issues (although scary ones if they pass) is to distract from how horribly everything is going and many people are eager for that distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mr. Evans. It's good to see you! I'm not really here, I'm more there (livejournal, same name -- no spaces), but I found you in a random late-night internet procrastination strategy (I procrastinate, it's much more fun than dissertating, and I'm better at it anyway).

    I have only the obvious thoughts on this entry, being a big ol' queer myself. But I wanted to comment and say hello from long ago and far away.

    ~Jessica Eve Humphrey (Springbrook, dontcha know)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really not sure why Pawlenty said these things. It seemed very out-of the normal for him, at least the persona he usually portrays on the media.

    I sort of liked the guy before now, but this year changed my mind a little about him and the other "leaders" at the capital.

    It is very frustrating that politicians spent so much time this year focusing on things that affect only about 10% of the population of Minnesota.

    Now the independant and green parties are starting to make some real noise, asking the same question that I am asking: "What is the governmnent's role for the people of MN"

    Do we really want to spend our time, resources, and energy on issues like pro-sports stadiums and the guthrie theater? When people are getting killed in the streets of Minneapolis?

    Do we really want our legislature debating the "5 G's" (God, Guns, Gays, Gambling, and Gynecology)

    Can our government really solve or change these issues? Are the people we voted in smart enough to make laws for or against social issues that will stand the test of time?

    It is very dissapointing when the governor makes a speech like he did, when he has an open forum to talk about items the people need to discuss, like "jobs and economy, transportation and roads, making the government accountable, the decreased funding for cops, healthcare costs, social security funding reform, cost of gasoline and becoming more energy independant, etc"

    It seems to me that these topics affect more citizens than what they spent their time on this last year. And every day that they sit in their chambers and discuss football stadiums, we the taxpayers get the shaft. If we knew the cost of ONE DAY spent at the capital, and how valuable that time is, we would revolt!

    Governor, spend your time and our money on things that actually make a difference! You may get headlines by making inflamatory speeches, but that is not progressive...

    Politics.. HA.

    ReplyDelete