Monday, December 01, 2008

I Need Some Of That Time Back

Solve This Mystery!

Hey, remember when I added all those hours to your life? I need you to do some quick research for me now. It won't take you nearly as long as I've saved you, so it all adds up and we're even-steven. At least.

I've played the piano for a long time. Two of my favorite pieces to play are by composer Aram Khachaturian (1903-1978). Both are listed as being "from "Adventures of Ivan"." I was recently on the internet and thought I would get a CD of (or at least bug the library to get a CD of) the complete music from "Adventures of Ivan". No dice. Hennepin County Library? No help. Amazon? Nope. Wikipedia? Absent. A comprehensive list of Khachaturian's complete works? Missing. So, my question to you is this:

What is "Adventures of Ivan" and why are two pieces for piano students by Aram Khachaturian listed as being "from" it?

If you figure this out and I am satisfied with your answer, you can get a free 2008 Toys For Tots CD and I will give the ten bucks to the cause for you.

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that Adventures of Ivan is piano music that he wrote for students of piano and that no one has recorded it commercially. It has been included in a new collection of children's piano music under the name of:

    Pictures of Childhood Piano Solo - Book
    Piano Series

    Here are the songs:

    General Information
    Composer(s) :
    Khachaturian, Aram  (1903-1978)
    Work type(s) :
    Piano solo
    Movements or Excerpts
     
    Name
    Key & mode

    1. Ivan Sings
    C minor
    2
    Ivan Can't Go Out Today
    C major
    3
    Ivan is ill

    4
    Ivan Goes to a Party (Waltz)
    E major
    5
    Ivan is Very Busy (Etude)
    C
    6
    Ivan and Natasha
    G minor
    7
    Ivan's Hobbyhorse
    C
    8
    A Tale of Strange Lands
    A minor
    Publishing Information
    General Information
    Publisher:
    MCA Music
    Editors
    Mirovitch, Alfred
    Excerpts Contained:
    Complete

    I think your best bet is to find the sheet music on ebay or from a publisher under the new name and practice it a whole lot and record it yourself.

    By the way, your blog was the ninth hit when I googled it. Oh yeah, there seems to be a kid playing it on youtube too.

    ReplyDelete