Saturday, April 22, 2006

Two Cool Websites

Another great GUH show last night at the Freight House Dunn Bros. in Minneapolis. Thanks to all who came. Show is documented here. But that's not necessarily what we're here to talk about.

Two websites recently came to my attention. The first is a must see for all nerds such as myself. It is Ten Ways To Destroy The Earth.

The second is The Truck Driver's Gear Change Hall of Shame. This site has nothing to do with trucking. Rather, it makes affectionate fun of musical artists who have nothing more to offer with a given song and so simply change keys at the end for no particularly good reason.

Personally, I like the gear change. I have consciously inserted it in at least two original songs, "Maybe" (from GUH's Synthesis tape) and "We'll Go On Forever". "Forever" is a joke love song that exists primarily to modulate up a whole step 6 times until finally the chorus is being screeched out an octave above its original home. A song which, with the benefit of hindsight, GUH should not have played at an actual wedding reception.

They have missed a famous one that occurred to me immediately - "The Letter" by the Box Tops. There is no foreshadowing of the rather sudden, if well executed, move to D flat from C. This is painfully obvious during the Great Uncle Helmer version of this song as the chords become barred instead of open and the sound changes with substantially less panache than on the 1967 hit single.

Also, "Free Again" by Alex Chilton has a pretty obvious heavy handed gear shift, although it's up a fourth, not a half step.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Enjoyed the show a lot. Our friend Jenny who came left us a message yesterday about how much she liked GUH's music.

    2. Did not finish reading 10 ways to destroy the earth, after not understanding the first 3 I quit trying. Did spend a lot of time on the site though (livescience.com) and really loved it. They had a video of small amphibious worms living off the skin of their mother.

    3. Also enjoyed the Gear Change site. I liked how you could actually listen to the changes in the songs. I think I agree for the most part. I know when I'm singing, like in church, and the musicians change gear I generally don't like that. I can see it if it makes a point, like in "Forever". Good site though.

    ReplyDelete