Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Memphis Earns, Writes Rave Review of Self, Friend

Awesome show with Justin at the Grand Ave Dunn Bros. Coffee. Really nice crowd, including several friends and family. Played some requests for originals which is always nice. Good people working there gave me a free sandwich and coffee. I feel so blessed to have so many good friends who are also great musicians. Who else would get to play such fun back to back shows with Kaptain Karl and J. Bell in the same week? Maybe BPZMAG I suppose. Thanks Justin for inviting me and thanks everyone who came and enjoyed it.

We revisited a lot of the Urban Rust material and it was really fun to look back and play that stuff again. I was playing bass like I did in that band and I really missed Ben hitting the kick drum beats with me. We played Hourglass last and it was really cool how much meaning that song took on.

We played some of the best of Justin's more recent stuff like "If I Had My Way", some of which I've never played on or have only played second guitar on. I was reminded of Art Garfunkel talking about the 1981 Central Park reunion show with Paul Simon. He said he was excited to sing stuff like "American Tune" and "Slip Slidin' Away" which Simon had written and released years after they originally broke up.

Possibly complete set list from tonight (as best as I remember it) is here. Other highlights were a long, long "Dream I Had Last Night" which incorporated and, by the final verse, completely fused with the Doc's Kids song "Alison's Quiche". We traded some lead vocals - I enjoyed singing "Melody Dances" and it was cool that Justin knew all the words to "Bittersweet Love Song" and seemed to have more fun singing it than I might have. It completely cracked me up when we were playing "Nothing At All" and I realized Justin's lyrics sheet had been printed out directly from the part of my website dedicated to Urban Rust, complete with web address at the top of the page and underlined purple links at the bottom.

At the beginning during my solo set I was somewhat nervous and I felt a little shaky, but I was proud to debut my solo guitar fingerpicking arrangement of Paul Simon's "The Obvious Child" and my own brand new song written this month "Big Day Tomorrow" (lyrics). I played "Echo Some Tune" (lyrics) for the second time in public and ended with the GUH favorite "Chimney", which sounded weird and lacked for Karl but my background verse about "my plan for loving Tam" was brought out somewhat. Not that that is necessary or even necessarily beneficial.

As if it wasn't enough to reunite with a great musician and play a great set of nostalgic, heartfelt music to appreciative friends and some new fans (I even got rid of 4 Urban Rust CDs, or 1 percent of the total supply in my basement), when I got out to my car I heard the last out of a rain delayed Twins victory over Kansas City, Joe Nathan making his third save in as many tries in a 2-1 victory.

And as if THAT weren't enough, when I got home and was loading my gear back in to my basement's resting-gear-keepin'-spot I noticed a water bottle I thought I'd lost at the GUH show in February. Turns out it was wedged in a dark place between my speakers and my power amp/mixer. A water bottle not such a huge deal, you say? This water bottle was a gift from my wife and was meant to show her support of me. It is purple and sporty and sentimental and I had been feeling very sad thinking that I lost it. What a sweet night.

In summary, I had a blast and sincerely wish to do it again. If you have not heard Justin you should check him out here and if you are reading this blog and do not have Urban Rust's 1999 "Leave This Place" CD, e-mail me at my website with your mailing address with the subject line "Leave This Place" and I will send you one at no cost to you. J. Bell you rule. Thanks man.

2 comments:

  1. Another Rave Review:

    The show on Tuesday evening was so much fun. I got there early to watch the band set up and see some of the people in the college section of St. Paul. I got a free Games magazine from a blog reader and was very excited that she remembered.

    The show was great. I liked the solo acts, but then was blown away when they both came together. It was good to hear some of the songs I have forgotten for a while. Justin was excellent, but always is. I am not sure why, but I am always surprised when I hear Justin play and I think "Man, he is really good.", and then I remember that I knew he was good, and it shouldn't be that much of a surprise, but somehow it always is...
    I like Memphis' new song about daily daddy events. It is a nice tune and is easy to follow. I can imagine exactly in my mind the picture that is being painted.

    The crowd was really good. I usually sit close to the stage, and therefore can't gauge if the rest of the audience is enjoying the show. At the coffeehouse, I sat near the back, and noticed that the place was packed most of the time, AND everyone was actively engaged in listening to the music. Sure, there were a large crowd talking, eating, working on laptop computers, etc, but it seemed that everyone was also enjoying the music, and it fit in very nicely.

    The show itself seemed to fly by, although I didn't get home until after 11:00pm, it seemed like the night just went by without a hitch.

    Favorite songs from the show:

    The Way You Complicate Things
    Bittersweet Love Song
    Aimee
    Ron Cey
    Melody Dances
    Rain King


    Can't wait to see another 'cross-over' type show like this again. Well, I can wait, and will hope to be free to go.

    Chazz...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Upcoming shows at the Grand Ave Dunn Bros. include Doc's Kids June 20 and Justin Bell June 27. I may be able to weasel my way into the J. Bell show and enjoy the glory while he did the actual hard work of scheduling the show.

    ReplyDelete