Monday, March 05, 2012

In Which I Find More Really Great New Music

You know me, always looking for good music I am not aware of. So today I'm at art class and the teacher is playing something that I think is really great.

After class I'm like, "What was that CD you were playing?"
She looked at me for a second and said, "Adele? 21?"
I was like, "Ohhh, yeah. Wow that was really good! I haven't heard that before."
"Yeah, I try to find good music that will help the students be sort of mellow and do their art."
"Yeah, that was perfect for that."
We talked a little bit more. I felt like sort of a dope. I hope she didn't think I was making some hipster joke or something. I knew ABOUT that album, but I'd never heard that album. So, hey, in case I wasn't the last person on Earth to hear it and you actually are:

There's this really good album you should check out called "21" by this singer from England named Adele.

What's weird about it is that during the class I discreetly texted myself some of the lyrics in order to look them up later on the internet (which I don't have or want on my phone because it's a PHONE) but then I thought, "No. That's so isolationist/information age/sitting at home on the computer instead of getting to know the people in your community!" So yes, I made contact with another human being and, yes, I'm sure she belived I had just crawled out from under a rock.

4 comments:

  1. You know Dan Wilson co-wrote three songs for that album?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I read that big front page of Variety section article in the Star Trib about him. It said he made about $900,000 just on royalties for one of the songs on this album.

      (Note to Adele: I, Memphis Evans, am available for a writing session anytime. Free session! Totally on spec. Just like Dan. Or try Dan's brother, who generally writes songs that are more interesting, if less commercial.)

      I'd just never heard any of it before. I might have to buy this in a year or two when the fickle masses want the next big thing and the price for used copies drops to a penny on amazon. Of course then there are the various bonus track laden versions to consider, iTunes having a slightly different lineup than the Bulgarian import, etc. according to Wikipedia.

      Delete
  2. Adele won the Album of the Year Grammy for 21

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would my previous comment qualify as a "hipster Joke" if I wouldn't have had to Google Adele 21 to be sure?

    ReplyDelete