Friday, June 11, 2010

David Bowie Ruuuuuulez and Other Less Important Things

I know I've mentioned it before but I just must say again how very, very much I have been enjoying the work of David Bowie in the last year or so. With the purchase of this remarkably inexpensive (used) and fairly comprehensive box set of his five most recent studio albums I now have all of his currently available studio and live albums.

The cover is not immediately appealing and it's not the place to start if you've never really heard anything by him, but man it is just so good. Very inspiring. I don't know why I never got into him when I was a kid.

----------------------------------------

Do you have World Cup Fever? No, neither do I. If America was going to enjoy soccer as a spectator sport it would have happened by now. Yahoo should give it up and its headlines should remind us exclusively that there has been an oil spill.

----------------------------------------

So the oil spill was bad enough and everything no doubt, but another bad thing about it was it was the final nail in the coffin of any Americans giving a darn about Haiti. Remember when Haiti was all over the Super Bowl? Remember when Haiti got $10 just by having Americans text? It worked because we didn't even have to get up off our couches. Remember...wait, what was I talking about? Sorry. Nevermind. OIL SPIIIIILLLLLLL!

----------------------------------------

Remember the '80s? We were all watching The A-Team and Karate Kid and the Celtics were playing the Lakers in the NBA Finals. Those sure were the good old...hey, wait a minute. Our mass culture is a vomiting dog. Nostalgia is the dog going back and eating it.

----------------------------------------

David Bowie played Andy Warhol in the interesting movie Basquiat. Jean-Michel Basquiat is listed as a Haitian artist on Haiti's wikipedia page. This is not just one of those totally random things. It all ties together. With soccer. 'Night.

6 comments:

  1. The news is horrible and depressing. I avoid all news of the oil spill including pictures of oil soaked animals because there is nothing I can do. Haiti is still a horrible mess, people living in sheds built for pigs and the pigs still live there too. Ugh. But I can do something about Haiti, small though it may be.

    Soccer is exciting but I'd rather watch baseball because I am American.

    I take it you are not going to see the new Karate Kid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost certainly will not see the new Karate Kid, not because I think it's bad or anything but just because there are like a thousand other things I'd rather see first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Earthling." Do you have his stuff with Tin Machine as well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also have a special warm place in my heart for the "Never Let Me Down" album. Critical & commercial letdown, but some really strong songwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also really like Never Let Me Down - especially Glass Spider - and Earthling. He always seems to go to the next level with Brian Eno on the team. (Low, "Heroes", etc.)

    I got the first Tin Machine CD from the library and never got around to playing it. Even Bowie himself criticizes TM (at the Storytellers show, for instance), so that's the last thing of his I've still not heard. Have you heard it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I used to cover "Baby Can Dance" on occasion. TM was his first collaboration with guitarist Reeves Gabrels, who was also his Earthling guitarist. I thought their second album was even stronger.

    I'm sad to hear he criticized it. My personal take is that --as with a lot of Bowie's cross-genre forays-- it was a really good "David Bowie does ______" album. Kind of like how "Black Tie, White Noise" isn't really a dance album in the context of other dance albums, but it's definitely the dance album in Bowie's personal opus.

    ReplyDelete