Friday, January 02, 2009

I Am Judging You, Traffic

From the window of one of my blogging sites I have a clear view of a stop sign in a neighborhood that is loaded with small children. I will now judge people on their stopping, using the following criteria:

good: wheels actually stop, person looks around, and is not on phone

adequate: wheels slow down significantly, looks around, and is not on phone (note: this non-stop is still, technically, illegal)

poor: any of these three criteria are not met

okay, now suddenly traffic has slowed…

Here we go:

adequate
poor
adequate
adequate
adequate
poor
adequate

waiting for one more…

one more chance, traffic…

GOOD! Well done, final person I will notice. I wish there were some way to give you $100 dollars and have you know and accept just exactly why. Wouldn't that be a useful traffic management device? If everyone had the option, instead of just giving the friendly wave of thank you, to immediately reward a fellow driver financially for making wise and kind decisions? What with all this OnStar stuff, it seems within the technological realm of possibility and I could see that being a big success - making money and saving lives.

My favorite thing is when a cop car sits just out of sight of this intersection. This happens about once a month as far as I can tell. They could raise their annual budget in a few short weeks with aggressive ticketing at this intersection.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly, I have discussed this traffic corner (#1) via an email inquiry to our city council and (#2) in person at the local police office. Both times I enquired about in-person or automated monitoring. The email got no response. The in-person discussion yielded a "they get to those things when they can."

    Have we seen any significant increase in change? No.

    Do we have to wait until a child gets hurt? Probably.

    ReplyDelete