Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A Return To Trivia

So, not really biting on the fake baseball story, eh? Fine. I thought it was a very effective piece of writing, but whatever. You people. Here is a more blatant attempt to generate comments using something much less important than baseball, politics.

Here's my take on Obama's comments regarding people who suffer through economic difficulties taking refuge in guns, religion, "antipathy toward different people" (which I think we're all old and mature enough to call racism), and anti-immigration sentiment:

I totally, totally agree. It was the first thing I've heard him say that I really, really liked. See also Bob Dylan's 1963 thoughts on the matter, which played a role in forming my own.

Ironically, the comments I like so much may be the thing that helps Hillary win Pennsylvania if she whips peoples' minds into a frenzy over their misinterpretation. I would certainly rather have Hillary win because I would love for my daughters to grow up "in a world where" (to borrow a phrase from that movie preview guy) there has been a woman as president of the US. But if Obama wins now I won't feel quite as bad about it because at least Obama has said one meaningful thing I agree with. So these controversial comments are really win-win-win - for Obama, Hillary, and me!

Incidentally, my take on immigration is quite radical. I believe in extremely strong borders. However, I would use them very differently from the way they are currently used. I would control the flow of people based on merit, not place of birth. Let me explain.

If someone was born somewhere else, but comes here willing to work hard and not commit felonies, they can stay here as long as they want to continue to be a contributing member of society. However, if a person who was born here has demonstrated that they are a good for nothing bum who commits one crime after another, that person should be expelled, however important they may be to the Minnesota Vikings' playoff hopes.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder at the amount of time and energy expended on discussions about a "fence" or a "wall" on the side of the country, when what we really need is a ceiling.

    A physical, plaster barrier between us and the sky is the only thing that is going to keep millions of migratory birds from treating our country like a glorified rest stop. They carry no passports, or any other identification. I'd guess most of them don't even have names! Yet they fly at will over whatever they want at low altitude. I have seen many land in my own back yard!

    Until we have a ceiling, human immigration is the least of our problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right and if he were more direct he'd have said "There are places where the people aren't ready to vote for an African-American." But if he were smart he wouldn't have answered that question. Just because someone asks doesn't mean you have to answer. He could just say "I'm not sure but I'm anxious to go and try to change their minds." That might have been the answer that gave him the most advantage.

    What did you think of his making jokes about Hillary out hunting as a result of what she said?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Hillary is clearly the "candidate of the people". She loves guns and did you see her pound down that shot with a beer at a Wisconsin bar? She is highly qualified to identify elitist tendencies in her opponents because of her record of egalitarian accomplishments and encouraging her daughter into a career of altruistic hedge funding. If however, you want your girls to experience a woman as president, may I suggest Condoleeza Rice, a Black Woman, who is also an accomplished musician? You see I'm not sure that America is ready to vote for a common woman such as Hillary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know that is a good point! Does Hillary have any hobbies or avocations other than politics? All great people have another passion in addition to their jobs: Ronald Reagan enjoyed horseback riding, George Bush enjoys relaxing at his ranch, Richard Nixon enjoyed shopping with his wife, Bill Clinton enjoyed his cigar collection, Jimmy Carter enjoyed finding new applications for peanuts, Al Franken enjoys setting up his accountant for some hearty laughs, Norm Coleman enjoys splitting hairs over his differences with president Bush, Michelle Bachman enjoys studying about light bulbs, Al Gore enjoys quality time with his Hollywood friends, Dick Cheney enjoys hunting for his friends, Dan Qualie enjoyed fracturing syntax, and John McCain enjoys cussing out his colleagues. I can't think of anything that Hillary enjoys outside of her hard-driving intense political work for the poor and underprivileged. I'm not sure that is healthy. She may just be too intense for the job of president! She could burn out after a short time in the White House!Perhaps she should take some years off and develop some hobbies.

    ReplyDelete