Monday, March 17, 2008

Ahh. Yes. It feels so right! I don't know why I didn't do this a long time ago. We are off the grid, baby! We no longer have cable television at our house. Which means, as you know if you live in the Twin Cities metro, we no longer have a viable way to watch current television at all. I flipped through the channels using the remote that controls the DVD/VCR combo and it's all blue, blue, blue. Instead of sitting there helplessly hoping for something worth watching to be on, I simply switched it off. For the last time.

(I also accidentally broke the actual physical item known as a cable as I was pulling it through the hole in the floor to coil it up for the rest of our lives in this house, so going back wouldn't be easy.)

Of course, we have Netflix and will likely watch an episode or four of Star Trek: The Next Generation every week. Or a movie, or The Office (American, duh. Admit it - it's better.) or Curb Your Enthusiasm or Dr. Katz…but almost always with Bride and never with commercials. Sweet.

Incidentally, this post makes internet history. It is the FIRST and ONLY time that the full name of the television show heretofore known to netizens only as ST:TNG has been spelled out completely. Mystery solved for some of you, I imagine! You're welcome.

2 comments:

  1. Just a question: How do you maintain your sense of reality without commercials?

    ReplyDelete
  2. we can still watch tv. maybe I won't tell you how it works.

    ReplyDelete