Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Another Fun Show with Justin

Had a fun show at Grand Ave. Dunn Bros. with Justin last night. Inspired by a misspelling on the set list, I went by the new name of Blue Bassa during the show.

It was about what I expected - more polished because we rehearsed but at the same time some of the immediate thrill of reconnecting with old songs I haven't played in years is wearing off. "Heart Shaped Things" and "Bittersweet Love Song" bored me a little, but not so much that I wouldn't want to play them. And I'm also realizing that several of those old songs, most notably "Hourglass" last night, are very high quality even without any nostalgia factor.

Plus there were, as always, a lot of really fun spontaneous musical moments playing with Justin, who's the best other technical guitarist I have ever played with on a regular basis.

Politics a Hit!

The blog on Pawlenty's speech got the most comments of any of the 37 blog entries thus far. I can see why bloggers write about politics. Such attention! Nevertheless, I think most of my writing about it would be boring and pedantic and so will leave it to those who don't care that they are boring and pedantic.

Preview the Saturday GUH Show

I have decided to release the set list for Saturday, July 1st's 7:30 p.m. Great Uncle Helmer show at the Freighthouse Dunn Bros. three days ahead of time. Check it out here.

My goal is to have the show go a little more smoothly and professionally than our Anodyne show last week. Not that it wasn't good and fun, but I would like to see if we can run a two hour show that is as tight and engaging as our 45 minute Bryant Lake Bowl set last April.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. Looked at the playlist for Saturday and was amazed at how many songs you do in a 2 hour show. It doesn't seem like that many.

    Your question about how an audience member experiences GUH is interesting. I think there is a wide variation depending on venue for one thing. For all the shows I think the spontaneity is very enjoyable. You both seem to love what you do and that's fun too. For a regular attendee it's great to hear the old favorites but it's always interesting to hear something new, either an original or a cover. I know this takes a lot of time and practice though.

    Another variable is the kind of day I've had. If I've been busy I might like to do a puzzle, sip my coffee and just listen or maybe hold/talk to/play with a baby. On days when I have more energy I like having a total focus on the show, making requests, etc.

    Overall it is a very enjoyable experience. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally am baffled by your perceived need to make your shows more "professional", if I could even understand what that means.

    Who is to say that your shows haven't been "professional" even though they may not be "tight", or "smooth", also two terms that seem undefinable.

    Are you saying that if the show isn't pre-planned, pre-programmed, and pre-defined, it is not a "professional" show? You are kidding yourself.

    Isn't the point to be entertaining? The best entertained shows I have been to have included spontenaity and adaptation, which is one of the big reasons I like going to certain shows. If I knew that a show was going to be a specific pattern of songs that all sound "tight" and "professional", I might as well sit at home and listen to them on my Hi-Fi. What is the point?

    Believe me, I am a 'planner', almost to a fault. When taking a trip, I like to research the place and offer options for what to do during the day. Does it make it more fun? Maybe - Maybe not. There is a certain enjoyment to just finding things happen when you get there.

    Also, on my training program, I am having problems right now becuase I don't have my "map" finished and this is making me a little off. I understand the value of pre-planning.

    In real life, plans don't always work, however. What if, during Cowtown, you break a string. Does the list change? Does that event decrease your percieved "professionalism"?

    Some of my favorite shows have been due to some strange, unexpected event that happens during the show. I don't consider this less "professional".

    I noticed that you have "Requests and questions" listed as an item, but in reality this is a random occurence based on the flow and attitude of the audience. These can be of varying quality and quantity.

    You might change the last line to say:
    "Is the show available to fans? Only in their ANTICIPATED DREAMS!"

    Chazz

    ReplyDelete